The kaluga fish – also called the river beluga – is considered the largest freshwater fish in the world and is typically found throughout the lower reaches of the Amur River near Russia and China. Often, farmers hybridize the kaluga with other fish species – including the amur sturgeon and the sasanian beluga – to produce premium types of black caviar.
Kaluga hybrid caviar differs from the other cured black roe choices for its unique appearance, taste, and texture. The deep brown, green, or black beads with golden hints boast an earthy, buttery, mildly salty flavor. Its firm, smooth texture is comparable to the rare beluga caviar, the import of which has been widely banned throughout the U.S. to protect beluga sturgeon populations in the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea basin.
The Price of Kaluga Hybrid Caviar
Kaluga caviar price ranges can vary widely. Roe that comes from kaluga sturgeon itself will cost an average of $30 for every 0.5 ounces. Then of course, there are hybrid choices. Often, farmers will hybridize the kaluga with the Amur sturgeon to develop different types of roe.
These types can be differentiated based on their color, flavor, and texture. The most expensive of which is the kaluga hybrid gold caviar which retails at an average of $100 for every 0.5 ounces. The kaluga fusion amber roe typically sells for $35 for ever 0.5 ounces, and finally the kaluga fusion black roe costs an average of $30.
For the most part, the cost of kaluga fish caviar depends on taste, freshness, roe maturity, and whether or not there were any ingredients added to modify its taste.
- Taste – Most types of kaluga roe boast a buttery, earthy taste with mild salty overtones, but that does vary slightly from type to type. The amber roe boasts a much milder flavor and a full-bodied aftertaste. These unique flavor profiles have helped these types of roe earn the preference of connoisseurs and thus a higher cost.
- Freshness – There are strict regulations that control the capture of wild kaluga because of the threat to their population due to overfishing. So when you buy kaluga caviar online, you’re likely purchasing from a retailer who sources their cured roe from farms. This also helps to guarantee the freshness of the eggs since they can be harvested in controlled environments.
- Roe maturity – Kaluga roe is best enjoyed when the eggs are allowed to reach just the right level of maturity. The best kaluga caviar choices should boast a pleasant firmness that has a smooth texture when eaten.
- No added ingredients – Natural, minimally processed types of roe are often priced higher because they highlight the actual taste of the eggs. Without any additives, preservatives, or artificial flavors and colors, roe that’s as natural as possible gives the full experience and a much richer, more accurate flavor profile.
What Are the Health Benefits of Caviar?
Aside from being a delectable delicacy across a variety of cultures, sturgeon roe also offers unique health benefits that make it a suitable dietary addition for most people. These include:
- Vitamin B12 – Plays an essential role in the production of red blood cells and DNA. Vitamin B12 also serves a purpose in the function of the nervous system.
- Vitamin A – Highly important for healthy vision, a strong immune response, and reproductive functions.
- Vitamin E – Protects the body against oxidative damage, helping to restore damaged cells and clear out cell debris which can no longer be used.
- Iron – An important component of hemoglobin, iron is necessary for oxygen transport, making sure that all the parts of your body are sufficiently nourished.
- Magnesium – Assists in the maintenance of nerve and muscle function, supports a healthy immune response, and ensures healthy heart and bone integrity.
- Selenium – Helps protect the body against chronic disease, especially those caused by oxidative damage.
How to Serve Kaluga Hybrid Caviar
Caviar is best served chilled, and is often used as an ingredient for different types of appetizers. When scooping it out of the container, avoid using oxidizing metal spoons made out of material such as silver, copper and nickel alloys to preserve its authentic taste.
Most people enjoy serving sturgeon roe on blini, unsalted crackers, bread, or dry toast. Whatever the case, roe is always best enjoyed when served with garnish. Hard-boiled eggs, sour cream, chopped onions, and a variety of fresh herbs like parsley and dill can help significantly improve the taste of caviar.
Why You Should Buy Kaluga Caviar from Fish&Caviar
Not all caviar choices are cut from the same cloth. So if you want to experience premium Kaluga hybrid roe, then it helps to know your options. Here at Fish&Caviar, we offer our buyers premium caviar choices that exemplify superior quality at affordable prices.
Our wide selection – including kaluga hybrid roe – make us one of the most retailers on the market, giving you a range of choices so you can satisfy your need for caviar at our one-stop online destination.
Check our premium selection of caviar today and find a premium choice that’s sure to meet your needs and preferences.