This hearty, protein-rich appetizer is perfect for the holidays or any celebration! Pink and red in color, this dish will look beautiful on your table. Make it as spicy or mild as you prefer.
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
3 tablespoons of fresh chives
2 cloves of garlic
1 sashimi-grade tuna steak 170g (6 oz)
½ an orange, juiced
Salt or soy sauce
Russian rye bread, 3 slices
200g Salmon caviar
- Place egg yolk into a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and mustard to the bowl. Whisk and add 150-200 ml (about 3.5 oz) slowly while mixing. After adding all of the oil continue to mix until a thick sauce texture is created.
- Chop up chives very thinly and fold in gently with a spoon.
- Smash 2 cloves of garlic. Chop into smaller pieces and fold into the sauce mixture.
- Chop up the tuna steak into small cubes. Put into a separate mixing bowl.
- Juice half of an orange and put the juice into the bowl with the tuna. (Using an orange instead of another citrus fruit will preserve the tuna’s pink color.)
- Add the desired amount of salt or soy sauce to the tuna tartar. Add a pinch of black pepper.
- Optional – cut small pieces of a chili pepper, or other pepper and mix it into the tuna.
- Mix the tuna tartar and set it aside to marinate.
- Cut three slices of Boroditsky Russian Rye bread or another bread of your choice. Cut each slice into thirds to get a total of 9 pieces.
- Add a little bit of oil and butter to a frying pan. Fry the bread on both sides until crisp.
- Use a paper towel to get off excess oils from the bread crisps. Set aside.
- Put the mayonnaise sauce mixture into the tuna bowl. Mix together.
- Using a spoon, scoop the tuna onto the bread crisps.
- On top of the tuna add the desired amount of caviar and serve.